We're Working at Full Force to Make Fall 2020 a Success!
Facilities Operations maintains the physical infrastructure of Appalachian State University, providing a clean, functional environment for our students, faculty, and staff.
On June 2, 2020 our mandatory staff returned to normal working hours. We're glad to be back and have changed up our work practices to protect ourselves and the campus community by:
- limiting social contact where possible
- checking all employees' temperatures prior to the beginning of every shift, and
- requiring face coverings as part of our uniform.
Buildings Are Reopened with Amended Hours August 3, 2020
Beginning August 3, most buildings are unlocked between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Schedules for some buildings are varied by request and signage on doors will indicate hours and contact information if access is needed during "off" hours. Faculty and staff must complete an online training module in conjunction with scheduling their return with their supervisor.
During the weeks before students arrived for classes on August 17, Facilities:
- Ramped up HVAC Systems testing and adjusting systems
- Flushed Water Systems and disabled all drinking fountains; they will not be available for use this semester to slow virus spread
- Hung Signage indicating maximum occupancies in elevators and classrooms
- Dropped off Cleaning Supplies to academic and support departments, to allow as many employees as possible to have the power of hospital-grade disinfectants
New Operations & Improvements to Campus
While we continue to provide our typical services, additional preparations for fall 2020 have included:
- Plexiglass shields: Carpenters have installed shields in public-facing areas like ticket booths, cashiers counters, library check outs and receptionist areas.
- Classrooms and common area furniture reconfigurations: Teams continue to fine tune furniture arrangements to provide more distance between students. Shrink wrapping furniture to keep it from being used is one solution in our toolkit. This serves as a visual reminder that distancing is now required. It's a particularly good solution for auditoriums with fixed seating.
- Cleaning staff increases: We're hiring! and increasing our cleaning staff by 55%. Beginning in August, new employees stationed across academic buildings will be in constant motion wiping high touch points such as elevator buttons, door handles, restroom fixtures and classrooms. Know a good candidate? An application for one of the 50+ temporary custodial positions is available here.
- Hand sanitizing stations: were added to high-traffic areas like building entrances. Carpenters created 300 stands that can be repositioned as traffic demands.
- Cleaning supplies to departments: So that academic departments have EPA-certified cleaners for self-use in their areas, each department received (a) a 32 oz. container of hand sanitizer; (b) a supply of hospital-grade disinfectant; and (c) industrial paper towels. These supplies will be automatically refilled by custodial staff and there is no charge to your department unless the dispensers themselves must be replaced. Did we miss as "top off" of your supplies? Submit an Aim work request or let your custodian know. Note that additional cleaning supplies are not available through the Central Warehouse/Yomart.
- Fresh air exchange in buildings: HVAC controls programmers continue to work hard to bring fresh air into our buildings this fall.
- Extra cleaning of rental vehicles: Motor pool cleans and disinects vehicles before and after every use.
Campus is different this fall, and we hope you like the improvements. We are glad to have you back!
--Your friends at Facilities Operations