We're Working at Full Force to Make Spring 2021 a Success!
Facilities Operations maintains the physical infrastructure of Appalachian State University, providing a clean, functional environment for our students, faculty, and staff.
Since the summer of 2020, our mandatory staff has been working normal hours. We’re glad to be here and have changed our work practices to protect the campus community and ourselves by:
- limiting social contact where possible;
- checking all employees' temperatures prior to the beginning of every shift;
- requiring employees to complete the university’s health check every day before work; and,
- requiring face coverings as part of our uniform.
Buildings Are Reopened with Amended Hours Jan. 11, 2021
Beginning Jan. 11, 2021, most buildings will be unlocked between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Friday. Schedules for some buildings are varied by request, and signage on doors will indicate hours and contact information if access is needed during "off" hours. A key or card swipe may be required for access. Contact your department chair or administrator with questions. Visit area websites for adjusted schedules.
As of July 2020, all faculty and staff are required to complete an online training module titled “Pandemics: Slowing the Spread” before returning to campus.
During the weeks leading up to the start of classes, Facilities:
- ramped up, tested, and adjusted HVAC systems;
- flushed water systems and disabled all drinking fountains to slow virus spread;
- refreshed signage indicating maximum occupancies in elevators and classrooms; and,
- distributed cleaning supplies to academic and support departments.
New Operations & Improvements to Campus
While we continue to provide our typical services, additional preparations for the 2020-21 academic year have included:
- Plexiglass shields: Carpenters have installed shields in public-facing areas like ticket booths, cashiers’ counters, library checkouts, and receptionist areas.
- Classrooms and common area furniture reconfigurations: Teams continue to fine-tune furniture arrangements to provide more distance between students. Shrinkwrapping furniture to keep it from being used is one solution in our toolkit. This serves as a visual reminder that distancing is now required. It's a particularly good solution for auditoriums with fixed seating.
- Hand sanitizing stations: Dispensers were added to high-traffic areas like building entrances. Carpenters created 300 stands that can be repositioned as traffic demands.
- Cleaning supplies to departments: Departments received EPA-certified cleaners for self-use in their areas, including a 32 oz. container of hand sanitizer, a supply of hospital-grade disinfectant, and industrial paper towels. These supplies will be automatically refilled by custodial staff and there is no charge to departments unless the dispensers themselves must be replaced.
- Did we miss a "top off" of your supplies? Submit an AiM work request or let your custodian know. Note that additional cleaning supplies are not available through the Central Warehouse/Yomart.
- Extra cleaning of rental vehicles: Motor Pool cleans and disinfects vehicles before and after every use, and non-essential travel is prohibited. If group travel can't be eliminated, here are some tips for keeping your vehicle and your group healthy.
--Your friends at Facilities Operations