Vehicle Rental

Transportation Safety Guidelines for COVID-19

The purpose of these guidelines is to help minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19 where university owned or leased vehicles are involved. Elimination of the need for group travel is always the preferred option for keeping yourself and others safe from the virus. Non-essential travel should not take place. If the need for group travel cannot be eliminated, the guidelines below must be followed to help keep yourself and others safe while operating a vehicle:

  • Do not allow anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 to operate a university vehicle or participate in group travel.

  • All drivers and passengers must properly wear a face covering at all times while in the vehicle. No eating or drinking in a vehicle during group travel.

  • No vehicle should be operated at over 50% occupancy. For example, if a van has 12 seatbelts, no more than 6 total people should be in the vehicle.

  • Passengers must be spaced out in the vehicle to the best of their ability. Avoid sitting on the same row as another passenger. Also avoid sitting directly in front of, or behind, another passenger when possible.

  • Where plausible, windows should be down during travel to provide fresh air to the vehicle. Avoid using the recirculated air option on the vehicles ventilation system.

  • Reduce the duration of travel whenever possible. Plan your route to minimize time needed in the vehicle. Being in close proximity to others for over fifteen minutes greatly increases the likelihood of virus transmission.

  • Ensure vehicles are properly cleaned between uses. University guidance to clean shared vehicles can be found here. (PDF)

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
7:30am - 4:00pm

Cars may be returned anytime 24/7. We have a key pouch drop box for your convenience.

For any questions concerning rentals and reservations please call 828-262-8821

Policies & Guidelines

If you are a first-time renter, please review this policy before requesting a vehicle: Motor Fleet Management Policy Regarding Use and Misuse of State Vehicles

Van Driver Training

Find the information, forms, and course materials you will need to start the Multi-Passenger Vehicle Driver Approval Process.

Vehicle Rental Rules

  • Report ALL accidents to local authorities, no matter how minor.
  • No smoking or alcohol.
  • No pets.
  • No personal driving. (Do not park at home.)
  • Keep vehicle interior clean.
  • Only University employees may operate state-owned vehicles.
  • Tickets, tolls, and fines are your responsibility.
  • Note: non-university employees are not covered by insurance.

Motor Pool FAQ

Every person operating the vehicle will have to provide a copy of their driver license. Also, any person driving a multi-passenger van will have to complete the safety training before they can operate the vehicle.

There are no pickups after hours unless coordinated with the Motor Pool. There is a drop box to place keys in at the Motor Pool Office on Dale Street for those who come in after hours.

Motor Pool hours are 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The maintenance shop hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

No charges will apply if you cancel your reservation in writing at least 24 hours in advance of your pick up date. Simply email

Please contact Lori Brown 828.262.8777 with any questions regarding billing.

Please review the Driving Instruction Booklet in the pouch provided for you when you rented the vehicle and please contact the Motor Pool during regular hours (828.262.3195) and campus police after hours (828.262.2150).

Contact emergency 911 and file a police report. Refer to the Driving Instruction Booklet in the pouch for the full instructions.

Vehicles should be fueled locally at the Dale Street fueling station. Out of town fuel stops can be made at most service and convenience stations that accept credit cards. Cards for charging gas are provided with the Motor Fleet vehicles.

Please call Lori Brown at 828.262.8777.

If you need a PIN for use with your vehicle's fuel key please fill out this form.

Vehicles may be left at an airport for a period of no more than 72 consecutive hours.

Records of Travel Authorizations should be maintained locally within the department making the request.  Motor Pool does not require a copy of your authorization.

Dial 828-262-7198

Yes tolls/parking must be paid regardless of the type of vehicle. When a university or Motor Fleet vehicle is used for official travel, parking, storage and toll fees are legitimate charges to the university provided necessary receipts are obtained.

Consult with the Motor Pool when renting the vehicle.

No. The maintenance shop department in the Motor Pool only repairs Motor Pool vehicles.

Please put in a customer service work request or contact Maintenance Shop Manager at 828.262.8812

It depends on the extent of the damage, or work to be done on the vehicle. Your department will be contacted once the repairs have been made and it is ready for pick up.

No pets allowed in university or Motor Fleet vehicles with the exception of Disability Aid Dogs.